Friday, April 30, 2010

bad cupcake day

Today in Kye's class someone had a birthday and brought cupcakes to share.  His teacher always hands out the goodies as they are leaving the classroom to go home.  So I am waiting behind the fence to pick him up and he comes walking out with his folder (because kindergartners can't have backpacks) full of papers and his cupcake.  It was really windy today and stuff starts falling out of his folder.  He tries to grab his papers and smears the cupcake all down the front of his jacket.  He was pretty upset and said he couldn't eat it because the frosting was ruined.  The parents who brought the cupcake saw what happened and offer him another one.  So now he is happy because he has a new cupcake, Sam is happy because she now gets a cupcake (she is fine with eating a cupcake with ruined frosting) and I am happy because everyone else is happy.  I wish the story ended there.  So we are walking home,  I am carrying Sam's cupcake while pushing the stroller and Kye is carrying his cupcake and going on and on about how he can't wait to get home and eat his cupcake.  We are about 5 houses away from ours and all of a sudden the frosting slides off his cupcake and lands on the ground.  (I think because it was warm it melted the frosting just enough to make it slide.)  Kye breaks down in the middle of the street and it was all I could do to get him home.  Luckily I had some left over chocolate frosting in the fridge, so I refrosted his cupcake and he ate it.  Lesson learned... never take cupcakes as a birthday treat to kindergarten. 

1 comment:

D. Allen said...

That's a great story--I remember when Erika took cupcakes for her birthday when she was in the 1st grade--hopping out of the car she fell in the gutter with all her cupcakes--she skinned her knee and started to cry, but we somehow managed to salvage the cupcakes--Cupcakes are indeed a hazard.