Thursday, May 19, 2011

annoying shoe laces


At the beginning of the school year I bought Kye a pair of shoes with a velcro straps.  I started noticing that Kye’s shoes were always falling off.  When I took a closer look at them I realized he had smashed down the back of his shoes and had been walking on them for who knows how long.  They were completely ruined.  Not wanting to buy a new pair with summer just around the corner I found an old pair of Max’s and gave them to Kye.  The laces on that pair had been totally thrashed and with 5 minutes before they needed to leave for school I found a pair of shoe laces in one of my drawers.  The shoe laces were red and very very very very long, but they were going to have to work.  So we tried them in quadruple knots and sent him to school.  It never failed though, he would come home with untied shoes and his laces trailing behind him.  It was getting ridiculous.  I kept asking him why he wouldn’t tie his shoes and he said he didn’t know how.  He does know how he just needs more practice getting them tight.  He really doesn’t seem to care that his shoes are untied.  I went and bought him a different pair, but the laces were still long and after one week of wearing them the laces were thrashed from never being tied and always being stepped on.  I am torn on what to do…  Do I just give in and go back and buy a pair of velcro non-tying shoes?  Or do I make him stick it out and just keep replacing the laces?  I haven’t decided because I really want him to practice tying his shoes but I am afraid he is going to trip and hurt himself because his laces are never tied.

No comments: